If you have an aquarium, you know how important it is to feed your fish regularly. But what happens when you go on vacation? Or if you work long hours and can’t get home to feed them on time? An automatic fish feeder is a great solution to this problem.
There are many different brands and low-quality fish feeders available, so it is important to do some research before purchasing one. In this article, I’ll review some of the top fish-feeding devices on the market. I’ll also provide some tips on how to choose the best automatic fish feeder for your aquarium.
An automatic fish feeder is a device that releases a specific amount of food into an aquarium at regular intervals. A basic fish feeder has a hopper that is filled with food pellets or flakes. The hopper is connected to a timer that controls when the food is released. When the timer reaches the preset time, the food is gravity fed from the hopper into the aquarium.
More advanced automatic fish feeders have sensors that can detect how much food is in the aquarium and dispense accordingly. Some even have Wi-Fi capabilities so you can control them from your smartphone.
Most automatic fish feeders have an adjustable lever that allows you to control how much food is released. You can also usually set the feeder to release food multiple times per day. The device is either battery-operated or plugged into an outlet.
No matter what type of fish-feeding device you choose, they all make it easier to keep your fish fed and healthy.
Automatic fish feeders are often used in aquariums that are home to tropical fish, as they need to be fed more often than other fish species.
Here are three reasons why you should consider getting a fish-feeding device for your aquarium:
- First, an automatic fish feeder can help you keep a regular feeding schedule for your fish. If you’re busy or away from home often, it can be difficult to stick to a regular feeding schedule. But with a fish feeder, you can set it to dispense food at the same time each day, so your fish always get the nutrition they need.
- Second, it can help you control the amount of food your fish eats. Overfeeding is one of the most common problems in aquariums, and it can lead to serious health problems for your fish. A feeding device can also help you save money by reducing the amount of food you buy.
- Third, an automatic feeder will cut down on the waste that food causes. And if you have multiple tanks, it’s difficult to keep track of how much food is in each one.
#1. Best Easy-to-Use: EHEIM Everyday Fish Feeder
- Great for everyday use whether you are home or away
- Set it and let if feed your fish everyday
- Convienient worry-free feeding for healthy fish
- Easy to set up and use and includes easy start guide
- Integrated fan and ventilation system keeps the food dry
- Container capacity: 3.38 fl oz. (100 ML)
- Power: 2 AA batteries (included)
- Weight: 9.39 Ounces
- Dimensions: 2.5 x 2.5 x 5.5 inches
EHEIM automatic fish feeder is the best way to make sure your fish are getting fed while you’re away. This feeder can be programmed to dispense food up to eight times a day, so you’ll never have to worry about your fish going hungry. Plus, the large-capacity hopper holds enough food for up to six weeks, so you can enjoy your vacation without having to worry about your fish at home.
With easy digital programming, you can schedule feedings. It also has an integrated fan that keeps food dry, so your fish get the nutrition they need to thrive.
You can easily adjust the food slider to dispense just the right amount of food for your fish. Plus, it comes with two AA batteries so you can get started right away.
The EHEIM automatic fish feeder comes with a universal installation clamp that helps it fit snugly on most aquariums. This means less food waste and happier fish!
- Easy to set up
- Integrated ventilation system
- Low battery indicator
- worry-free feeding
- For micro pellets, you may need to apply tape to the dispenser to modify the size.
#2. Best Rechargeable: Petbank Automatic Fish Feeder
- Environmental & convenient: Equipped with a USB charging cable, suitable for various charging scenarios. No need to repeatedly buy batteries, energy saving and environmental protection.
- Long work time: Powered by a large-capacity battery, it can be charged and discharged up to 800 times. According to the number of feedings set, it can be used for 3-6 months on a single charge.
- Large capacity: 200ml large-capacity feed bucket, suitable for a variety of fish feed such as granules and powders.
- Intelligent design: You can set up to 4 feedings a day, feeding 1-3 times each time. At the same time, you can also feed manually and experience the fun of feeding.
- Fits for 600L (158 US gallons / 131 UK gallons) fish tank, the feeder can perfectly feed goldfish and turtles on weekends or holidays.
- Container capacity: 6.76 fl oz. (200 ML)
- Power: Rechargeable battery
- Weight: 10.23 Ounces
- Dimensions: 6.5 x 4.72 x 3.46 inches
This automatic fish feeder is my second-best pick on the market! Its rechargeable battery and USB charger cable make it super convenient to use. Plus, its 200ml capacity means you won’t have to refill it very often.
With its long-lasting battery, the Petbank Automatic Fish Feeder can be used for up to three to six months on a single charge, making it a convenient and worry-free way to feed your fish while you’re away.
With four individual feeding times, you can customize the amount and frequency of feedings to match your fish’s appetite and eating habits.
The feeder attaches to the tank glass or top cover. The double-sided sticker keeps it securely in place. With the 360-degree rotatable base, the Petbank Automatic Fish Feeder can be placed at any angle in the fish tank and still dispense food accurately.
- 200ml Large capacity container
- Rechargeable with an on/off switch
- 2 Installation methods
- Detailed setting instructions
- Doesn’t work well in high-humidity or moisture areas
#3. Best with Wi-Fi: iLonda Automatic Fish Feeder
- 🐟【APP Remote Control】：Upgraded Navi-XI can be remotely controlled. Download "iLonda" and connect to the fish feeder, all settings can be completed online. Even outsides, you can set the fish feeder via APP. ※Only support 2.4GHz WiFi, please make sure the router dual channel is turned on.
- 🐢【Voice Control】: Support for intelligent voice control, which compatible with the popular smart speakers such as Amazon Alexa, Google Home, etc. Just connect the WiFi fish feeder and enjoy your speak-feed experience.
- 🐠【Unlimited Feeding Times】: Upgraded time setting, break the limit of feeding times. You can set any feeding times and decide whether to be repeat. The feeding notifications will be automatically sent on your APP for easily record and no more worry.
- 🐋【Intelligent Memory】：USB Power Supply, no longer power off. When WiFi restart, fish feeder will automatically reconnect and restore the setting. No worries when outsides. The built-in desiccant will prevent feed from moisture.
- 🌊【Easily Install】: For tank with lid, we suggest stick the fish feeder on the lid with the help of double-sides adhesive tape. For tank without lid, use the clamp instead. Classical outlet design, allows a plenty of fish food like pellets, flakes, crumbles, strips, etc. Adjust the food outlet and prevent overfed.
- Container capacity: 5.74 fl oz. (170 ML)
- Voltage: 5V/2A
- Weight: 10.58 Ounces
- Dimensions: 2.36 x 2.56 x 5.51 inches
If you’re the type of person who likes to have the latest technology at your fingertips, then you’ll love the iLonda Automatic Fish Feeder. This product not only has Wi-Fi and voice control capabilities, but it also comes with a mobile app so that you can easily monitor and control your fish feedings while away from home.
This incredible device features both a manual and automatic discharge port that can be rotated 360 degrees, so you can customize the feeding experience for your fish. With this level of customization, you can be sure that your fish are getting the nutrition they need to stay healthy and happy.
In case of a long power disruption when your filter stops working, the feeder will automatically stop feeding your fish. This means no more overfeeding and accidentally killing your fish during a power outage!
- Long range control
- Intelligent servo system
- Multiple and flexible timing options
- Not easy to set up
Here are a few tips to help you choose the best automatic fish feeder for your needs:
The first thing to consider is the size of the fish-feeding device. You will need to know the dimensions of your aquarium in order to choose the right size feeder.
Capacity refers to the amount of food that the feeder can hold, and placement is where you will put the feeder in your aquarium.
To determine capacity, you need to know how many fish you have and how often they need to be fed. A good rule of thumb is to choose a feeder that can hold enough food for your fish for 3-4 weeks. Placement is important because you need to make sure the feeder is easily accessible for your fish.
Does the fish feeder have a flexible feeding schedule? Some models allow you to set when and how often they dispense food, while others have a more simplistic design that dispenses food at regular intervals.
A fish-feeding device can be a great addition to your aquarium. However, there are some pros and cons to using one:
- Automatic fish feeders can be programmed to dispense smaller meals more frequently throughout the day, which closely mimics their natural feeding habits in the wild. This can help reduce stress levels and promote a healthier appetite.
- It can be especially helpful if you work long hours or travel frequently, as it can help to maintain a healthy feeding schedule for your fish even when you’re not around.
While this may seem like a convenient way to feed your fish, there are a few potential disadvantages to using an automatic fish feeder.
- Automatic fish feeders can malfunction and your fish may not get fed. This can be especially problematic if you have tropical fish that require more frequent feeding.
- Another potential danger of using an automatic feeding device is overfeeding your fish. If the feeder is not set properly, your fish can end up overeating.
- Also, if too much food is released, it can cause the water quality to decline and the fish to become sick.
To feed your fish while on vacation, you will need to purchase an automatic fish feeder. This device can be attached to the side of your fish tank and will release a set amount of food at regular intervals. You will need to fill the feeder with food before you leave and set the timer according to the manufacturer’s instructions and as per your fish needs.
An automatic fish feeder’s reliability depends on a number of factors, including the quality of the feeder and the care with which it is used and maintained. However, in general, good-quality automatic fish feeders can be quite reliable, especially when compared to manual feeding. This is because automatic feeders can be programmed to dispense food at regular intervals, ensuring that fish are fed on a consistent basis.
Yes, automatic fish feeders can work with flakes. However, it’s important to consider the size of the flakes. Ultimately, it depends on the type of feeding device you have and the type of flakes you are using.